Rope grown in the nutrient-rich waters of Tomales Bay, CA, Mediterranean mussels, also known as blue mussel, deliver a delicate, yet complex flavor and a rich, buttery texture. This recipe is highly adaptable, swap out the parsley for your favorite herb or through in some Italian sausage to spice things up a bit, just don't skimp on some warm, crusty bread to soak up all your delicious mussel broth.
Makes about 3-4 Servings
- 2 lbs. mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1 TBSP Garlic, chopped (green garlic would be delicious too)
- ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped (tarragon or chervil would work great here too)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup white wine (beer also works nicely)
- 8 oz. butter
Ready to start cooking?
Get Hog Island Mussels shipped to your door.
Heat a heavy bottom pot over high heat, add mussels in with wine or beer. Cover and let simmer for a few minutes or until mussels open. Once opened, add butter, garlic, parsley, and lemon juice, stir the contents until butter is melted. Spoon into a bowl, top with lemon zest, more chopped herbs if you feel like it and enjoy!
*Don’t skip the bread! Make sure to serve these with a bunch of delicious crusty bread for dunking in that irresistible mussel broth.